FSA & USDA 2017 Deadlines for Producers

Important Dates for the 2017 Crop Year

In 2017 there are several important deadlines for landowners, farmers and producers to be aware of. Whether you need to enroll into government programs for ARC OR PLC or simply need to discuss a CRP project or contarct, here are some of the most important dates for enrollment, applications and farm loans in 2017.

Continuing through August 1, 2017: Enrollment for 2017 Agriculture Risk Coverage (ARC) and Price Loss Coverage (PLC) programs
January 31: Deadline to file Tree Assistance Program (TAP) application
February 2: Deadline to apply for Loan Deficiency Payments (LDP) for unshorn pelts produced during the 2016 crop year
February 20: Offices closed in observance of George Washington’s Birthday
March 15: NAP application closing date for beans, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, canola, cantaloupes, carrots, cauliflower, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, greens, herbs, honeydew, hops, lettuce, oats, okra, onions, peas, peppers, potatoes, pumpkins, radishes, sorghum, squash, tomatillos, tomatoes, and watermelon
March 20: Organic producers and handlers can begin to apply for organic cost share assistance
March 31: Final date to obtain loans or Loan Deficiency Payments (LDP) on 2016 harvested small grains

FSA Youth Loan Program Benefits

Most people would agree that educating our youth about responsible money management, record keeping, and business operation are important keys to success. Programs and clubs like 4-H and FFA are the best examples of watching young people develop lifelong skills of responsibility, confidence and a sense of community. A unique program available from the local Farm Service Agency is available to qualified applicants that help our youth get started with income-producing projects such as 4-H livestock and even small businesses.

“The FSA Youth Loan Program teaches young people about the responsibility that comes with money, paying it back the bank, and how to complete a project from start to finish.”

The Farm Service Agency makes loans to youth to establish and operate agricultural income-producing projects in connection with 4-H clubs, FFA and other agricultural groups. Projects must be planned and operated with the help of the organization advisor, produce sufficient income to repay the loan and provide the youth with practical business and educational experience. The maximum loan amount is $5000.

“The process for application and approval is really quite simple and streamlined.” 


Youth Loan Eligibility Requirements:

  • Be a citizen of the United States (which includes Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands) or a legal resident alien
  • Be 10 years to 20 years of age
  • Comply with FSA’s general eligibility requirements
  • Be unable to get a loan from other sources
  • Conduct a modest income-producing project in a supervised program of work as outlined above
  • Demonstrate capability of planning, managing and operating the project under guidance and assistance from a project advisor. The project supervisor must recommend the youth loan applicant, along with providing adequate supervision.

For more information Stop by the local Indiana FSA office for help preparing and processing the application forms.

USDA Crop Payment Subsidies Issued to Farmers Nationwide

USDA Announces $4 Billion in Safety-Net Payments to Farmers Amid Commodity Market Downside

Starting October 28, 2015, the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) will begin making payments to farmers to cover losses from the 2014 crop year. Approximately one-half of farmers with covered commodities such as corn, soybeans and variety of other crops will start to receive payments as part of the 2014 Farm Bill program.

For the first time, farmers, under the current Farm Bill only recieve payments when markets or poor crop years occur. The old direct payment program triggered payments regardless of the quality of the crop or price, the new program called ARC or PLC triggers a government payment only when commodity markets or severe weather cause unexpected or sustained drops in the price per bushel or farm revenues.

For complete details from the USDA, including a FAQ section, visit : www.fsa.usda.gov/arc-plc.

Center Pivot Irrigation Earns You CRP Dollars

Farmers and landowners in Indiana with center pivot irrigation are eligible to enroll in the CRP / Conservation Reserve Program’s “Habitat for Upland Birds” practice, says the USDA’s Farm Service Agency. As margins tighten for farmers, “Pivot Corners” are a very attractive way to earn annual CRP payments. Ideal for creating pheasant and bobwhite quail habitat, this is a great opportunity for landowners to become more profitable while implementing a “habitat buffer” conservation practice that has great benefit.

Known as CP 33 or Conservation Practice 33, the goal and purpose of a irrigation system pivot corner CRP program is to restore habitat for bobwhite quail, pheasants and other wildlife. These habitat buffers create vital habitat for gamebirds to eat insects, nest and brood (lay eggs in the spring).
Landowners in Indiana counties can take advantage of this new USDA policy and realize profitable benefits to farm land with patches that are beyond the reach of center pivot irrigation systems. Pivot corners do not need to be connected by a linear strip of grassland to be eligible.
“This is a win-win for local farmers,” said Johnny Klemme, Farmland Broker and CRP Habitat Consultant. “With the increase in center pivot irrigation in Tippecanoe, Benton and Warren county Indiana, this is a great way for farmers who are feeling a margin squeeze to increase profits while providing vital habitat to the local bird population.”
Farmers and landowners can enroll irrigation system pivot corners in the CP 33 program any time in 2015. Participants and land must meet certain eligibility requirements. For exact details, contact your local  NRCS County office, Farm Service Agency (FSA) or District Conservationist in Indiana
Center Pivot Irrigation Earns You CRP Dollars CP33 CRP habitat indiana

CP 33 CRP Habitat Consulting Benton, Warren, Tippecanoe County Indiana

Consulting, Planning & Implementation

We provide practical experience & knowledge to help farmers and landowners implement conservation improvements to their land.

Wildlife food plot planting & maintenance
Finding Conservation Buyers
Native Plant Restoration
Native Prairie Planning, Planting & Maintenance
CRP Seeding & Planting Services (CP33, EQUIP, WHIP)
Mid-Contract Maintenance of NRCS Programs
Upland Bird Habitat & Management
Tree Planting & Hardwood Reforestation

Wheat Certification Deadline is Dec. 15, 2014

Just a reminder to farmers and producers in our West Central Indiana farm land region, the deadline for certification of wheat is December 15, 2014.

If you miss this certification date for wheat it will be considered late filed and incur late fees.

Call your local FSA / USDA office and get it scheduled!


Have you certified your wheat farm acres in Indiana?


Deadline for Certification is 12/15/14!

Farmland Acre Reallocation | Ready, Set, Go!

arc vs. plc pros and cons  Farmland Acre Reallocation | Ready, Set, Go! arc vs

Allocating Base acres to the highest returns is a key consideration for farmers and producers

As the era of direct payments has gone away, the new era of ARC (agricultural risk coverage) and PLC (price loss coverage) take shape. Producers across the country now have the opportunity to reallocate their base acres under the new Farm Bill. As we outlined in a previous post, Dr. Chris Hurt from Purdue Agricultural Economics points out the importance of allocating your base to the highest returning crops and under what conditions you should consider ARC vs. PLC (the pros and cons).

Who can reallocate base acres?

Only Land Owners

UNLESS there is a crop share arrangement with the tenant, in which case the tenant is also considered a producer.

What is the next step?

If you didn’t attend the recent USDA/Purdue University/Farm Credit educational session, you might be able to catch one in a different city. (but we know most of you are in the field now). As risk management gains momentum for producers of all sizes, lean on the experts that you trust to help guide decisions for your operation.

The USDA & FSA have created several online tools and resources that are very helpful. These tools allow the farmer/producer to enter information and see projections about how ARC and PLC affect payments given a variety of outcomes or scenarios.

The new tools are now available at www.fsa.usda.gov/arc-plc.

Contact your Local FSA Agent, their expertise and training is the most valuable.


New Farm Bill Information Meeting for Local Counties | August 19th

How to Sign up for our local Tippecanoe County Farm Bill Meeting

New Farm Bill Information Meeting for Local Counties | August 19th USDA new farmers indiana land for sale

Learn how to register and sign up for a New Farm Bill 2014 information session with Dr. Craig Hurt, Professor of Ag Economics, Purdue University

Farmland owners, operators and agricultural professionals interested in learning more on the 2014 Farm Bill and how it affects local Indiana farmland operations are encouraged to attend an informational session help locally at The Trails Banquet Facility.

The USDA,  FSA agency and Purdue’s own Dr. Chris Hurt, Professor of Agricultural Economics will lead this educational session. Areas of importance and focus include:

  • Farm Operator Deadlines
  • Special Requirements
  • Tools & Resources available to you

Register by Friday, August 8 by visiting www.e-farmcredit.com/FarmBill2014 or by calling your local Farm Credit Mid-America office at 1-800-444-FARM.


Meeting Location in West Lafayette, Indiana | Click here for a Google Map Link to The Trails >

August 19, 2014 – 6:30 PM
The Trails Banquet Facility and Conference Center


325 Burnetts Rd., West Lafayette, IN 47906